The Traverse City Chamber of Commerce Weighs-In on the Threat of Asian Carp in the Great Lakes
I was pleased to get the following from Doug Luciani, of the Traverse City Chamber of Commerce. It is good to see the business community get behind this issue, as they absolutely should:
- Imagine a trip to the Manitou Islands while dodging 50-pound flying fish.
- Imagine your favorite fishing hole as a barren, fish-free dead zone.
- Imagine the elimination of thousands of fishery jobs and the evaporation of a $7 billion industry in a time when Michigan cannot afford further attrition.
- Sign the online petition to close the locks at www.stopasiancarp.com.
- Attend rallies, such as the one being held at the Traverse City Fish Ladder on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 11 a.m. to encourage Federal action to close the locks in Chicago to prevent the destruction of the Great Lakes ecology and $7 billion fishery economy.